The Dressing Room

It's summer! ...but that also brings us to the...
bathing suit. I have never been a bathing suit person - which is kinda ironic because I grew up with a swimming pool and also spent 4 years in high school in a bathing suit (varsity swimmer and lifeguard)...

Being pregnant really did a number on my body (not alone in this situation)- it was hard on me physically, emotionally, really every -lly way that it could possibly be...I loved every moment of being pregnant...almost. I will be honest, there were times that I cried because I felt like that giant cow in the pasture that I passed on my way to work, but I had to be reminded (thanks Hubs and Daddy) that it was all for a good reason - Parker...let me tell ya, I earned every stretch mark and ounce of fat that was placed on my body! When I get down on myself when I look in the mirror - like today when I bought my bathing suit, all I have to do is look down and see those chubby cheeks smiling up at me and I am reminded, that is why I have this jiggly tummy and it's okay with me - it goes along with the 4 inch roots, acne scars, dark circles and the wrinkles...yes the wrinkles...but it all compliments my smile, my eyes, my humor and my personality...

Ok - so here is where I am going with this.  Body issues have plagued me since I don't know when - no amount of flattery and praise has/will change(d) that. I hate that about myself - not that I am the only one that struggles with that...it's society...we have done this to ourselves. I see girls in my elementary struggle with these same issues, some in 1st, more in 2nd, lots in 3rd, but most in the 4th grade - HOW SAD?! How do we help these girls understand that you don't have to fit into this "perfect" mold - there is no "perfect" - we can go back to the old adage "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

Little Miss Momma tweeted about this post yesterday - just in time for me to read it before I bought a bathing suit today. How perfect - I wish that I had that frame of mind..one day I will - mark my words.


I am beautiful. Maybe this will be my mantra and a # on my life list/101 things to do that I am working on...

2 comments:

  1. you ARE beautiful! Remember that! btw: I HATE bathing suits too! Like more than words can describe!

    xoxo, ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally! bathing suits are like clothing torture devices! i say we bring back those full on swimming dresses from the turn of the century. that would cover all of my stretch marks ... maybe;)
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete